Slide 3
Slide 3

Food & Drink Businesses

This information aims to provide business operators or potential operators of a food business with the necessary requirements for running a food business compliant to the regulations.

Starting a Food Business

Notification of a Food Business

All food businesses trading within the Local Government Area must register with Inverell Shire Council. This is a requirement under the Food Act 2003 and this information is used to create a License Register of all Food Premises in the Area. Penalties apply under the Food Act 2003 for failing to Notify Council of conducting a food business. Notification is satisfied through the completion of the Registration of New Food Premises form.

Food Safety Supervisor

The Food Act 2003 (NSW) requires certain food businesses in the NSW hospitality and retail food service sector to have at least one trained Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).

The FSS needs to have gained specific units of competency under the national Vocational Education Training system. The NSW Food Authority’s FSS program was established to help reduce foodborne illness in the hospitality and retail food service sectors in NSW by improving food handler skills and knowledge. The program also aims to provide food businesses with high quality and consistent training by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that has been approved by the Food Authority.

Kitchen Fit Out

All food businesses must be designed and constructed to satisfy the requirements of Food Standards Code 3.2.3 – Food Premises and Equipment. The Australian Standard AS 4674:2004 – Design, construction and fitout of food premises is a method of compliance with the Food Standards Code and is usually a requirement as a condition of a local council Development Consent. If a food business is being developed under the provisions of State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 the premises must satisfy the requirements of AS4674:2004. Contact Council’s Civil and Environmental Services Division on 02 6728 8200 for further information and to determine if a Development Application is required. Further information regarding a kitchen fit out can be found within the Food premises design, construction and fit-out guide.

Food Safety

For food to be safe for us to eat, it must be free from physical, chemical or microbial contaminants. Of these hazards, microorganisms represent the highest food safety hazard to people. Microorganisms are able to develop resistance to environmental stresses (such as heat and cold), and can grow in many foods and conditions. The social consequences of food-borne disease include both temporary and serious chronic illness and even death.

If you have been dissatisfied by the food safety of a food business operating within the Inverell Shire Local Government Area, you can make a complaint by using the Food Complaint form and submitting to Council.

More information regarding Food Safety can be found on the Food Authority website.

The following Fact Sheets are provided to assist in limiting the risk of food illnesses.

Mobile Vending

Mobile food vendors and similar retail food outlets need to notify the local council of their business and food activity details. You can apply for a Mobile Food Vending License by submitting the Mobile Vending Application form. The fee for this application is $255 and expires after 5 years.

Inspections of mobile food vending vehicles are conducted by council’s Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) who are authorised officers under the Food Act 2003. The frequency of inspection is at least once per year. They check that good food safety practices are in place such as temperature control, cleanliness, hand washing and labelling.

Further information is available at or contact Council’s Civil and Environmental Services on 02 6728 8200.

Water Carting

If you wish to begin a water carting business, you are required to notify the local council of your business details.

Notification can be completed via the Water Carting Application form. The application cost is $130.00.

The NSW Guidelines for Water Carters document is a guideline to help water carters provide safe drinking water and comply with the requirements of the Public Health Act 2010, the Public Health Regulation 2012, the Food Act 2003 and the Local Government Act 1993.

Water is available through the Inverell Standpipe by using $1 coins, at a cost of $2.00 per Kilolitre.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact Council’s Civil & Environmental Services Division on 02 6728 8200.

Last modified 16-Jan-2020



Opening Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm

General Manager
PO Box 138 Inverell NSW 2360

Administration Centre

144 Otho Street
Inverell NSW 2360

Phone: (02) 6728 8288
Fax: (02) 6728 8277
ABN: 72 695 204 530