Animals and Pets

In NSW, around 80 000 dogs and cats are lost, hurt or stolen each year. Most are impounded and are not able to be identified.

The Companion Animals Act was introduced by the NSW Government in 1998 to protect pets, their owners and the broader community. Animal micro-chipping now allows for your beloved pet to be returned to it’s home in the event it is hurt, lost or stolen.

For further information on how to register your pet, including a full list of fees, brochures, forms and Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the Office of Local Government Webiste (Dogs and Cats).

Pet Registration Discounts

Council is offering discounts for desexed pets and pensioners with desexed pets.

Bring your documentation to the Council Administration Centre to receive the discounts, for further information please contact Council’s Civil & Environmental department on (02) 6728 8200.

Companion Animals Registration Discounts Ad

Animal Complaints

In the case that you wish to make a complaint about a neighbour’s pet, there are a number of options you can pursue:

Firstly, it is important that you try to resolve the problem with your neighbour directly. By calmly discussing your concerns, often you can easily solve the problems you are experiencing without damaging neighbourly relationships. More often than not, your neighbour might not be aware that their pet is causing a nuisance. By amicably talking about the problem, you may be able to bring awareness of the situation and in many cases they are happy to take steps to rectify the problem.

If this approach does not work, you may contact Inverell Shire Council on (02) 6728 8200 to report the problem. Council will notify the owner that a complaint has been received about their pet, and will ask the owner to take steps to alleviate the problem.

Should a pet repeatedly make noise, damage other people’s property or chase people, animals or vehicles, Council can issue a Nuisance Order.

Barking Dogs

Why do dogs bark?

Barking is a natural way in which dogs communicate. It can be a sign of many things from playfulness to danger. Other times dogs bark because they are:

  • Chained to a fixed point without room for adequate movement;
  • Bored due to a lack of exercise;
  • Being provoked;
  • Competing with other dogs or animals;
  • Not properly trained;
  • Lonely, sick, hungry, or generally neglected.

These causes for a dog to bark should not be part of a dog’s life. As well as indicating possible distress of the dog, excessive barking is distressing for people living nearby.

Curing the Barking Habit

  • Provide enough space for your dog to move freely within your enclosed backyard. A dog shouldn’t be left on a fixed chain for a long period of time, as this contributes to savagery and often increases the occurrence of barking and other problems. If your dog needs to be chained, it should be a running chain;
  • Exercise your dog regularly;
  • Give your dog a space of its own, a sanctuary where it feels safe. This could be a ventilated and waterproofed kennel or an indoor area. A dog kept in an enclosed area at night will not usually bark and annoy neighbours;
  • Give your dog a balanced and varied diet. The evening meal should be given between 6pm and 9pm;
  • Dogs suffer from a range of common canine ailments including fleas, worms, cuts and bruises. Daily examination, regular baths and veterinary attention (when necessary) will help ensure that your dog does not suffer from health problems.

If after trying the above suggestions your dog continues to bark excessively, there are a number of other things you may try, such as:

  • Remove direct line-of-sight between the dog and people or animals by erecting a fence, wall or other barrier;
  • Take the dog to a recognised animal trainer to help discourage bad habits;
  • Provide noise insulation for the kennel;
  • Inverell Shire Council also hires Citronella (Barking) Collars to assist in the management of barking problems. The current cost for hire of a Citronella Collar is $100 for the deposit and $33 for a 3 week hire of the collar. For further information please contact us on (02) 6728 8288.


Dangerous / Menancing Dogs

A dangerous / menancing dog is one which attacks a person or animal without being provoked. In extreme circumstances, a local council or court can declare a dog dangerous.
Dangerous dogs must be:

  • Kept in child proof enclosures that are signposted with warning signs;
  • Leashed and muzzled in public;
  • Controlled by an adult over the age of 18;
  • Desexed.


Restricted Dogs

Owners of restricted dogs are obliged to comply with the same responsibilities (set out above) as owners of dangerous dogs.

The following dogs are restricted dogs for the purposes of the Companion Animals Act:

  • American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasiliero
  • Any dog declared by a Council to be a restricted dog

Owners of these dogs must comply with the following control requirements:

  • While the dog is on the property, it must be kept in a child proof enclosure;
  • The dog must not be at any time under the sole charge of a person under the age of 18;
  • One or more signs must be displayed on the property showing the words “Warning Dangerous Dog” in letters clearly visible from the boundary of the property on which the dogi s ordinarily kept;
  • When the dog is away from the property where it is ordinarily kept, the dog must be under the effective control of a competent person by the means of an adequate chain, cord or leash and have a muzzle securely fixed on its mouth in such a manner that will prevent the dog from biting any person or animal;
  • The dog must not be sold to a person under the age of 18;
  • The owner must notify the Council of the area in which the dog is ordinarily kept and of the following matters:
    • That the dog has attacked or injured a person or animal (other than vermin) within 24 hours of the attack;
    • That the dog is missing within 24 hours after first noticing its absence;
    • That the dog has died;
    • That the ownership has changed within 24 hours;
    • That the dog is no longer kept within the area of the Council and is giving notice as soon as is practicable;
    • That the dog ordinarily kept at a different location within the Council has changed location and is giving notice as soon as is practicable.

An Owner who does not comply with any of the above requirements is guilty of an offence.

Should you require any further informtion please contact the Inverell Shire Council on (02) 6728 8288 or on

Change of Owner / Details

To ensure that the Statewide Register works effectively, the contact information of a pet owner must remain as current as possible.

If you change your contact details, or in the instance that you sell or give away your pet to a new owner, it is your responsibility to contact Inverell Shire Council immediately so that we can amend this information on the Register.

The responsibility to change ownership details falls onto the person selling or giving away the cat or dog. Failure to do so may result in a fine.

Please contact Inverell Shire Council’s Administration Centre on (02) 6728 8200 for a Change of Owner/Details Form.

Deceased Pets

In the interests of maintaining an accurate NSW Companion Animals Register, owners are asked to please notify the Inverell Shire Council about deceased animals.

Information required to update the records includes:

  • The pet’s microchip identification number
  • Owner’s name and address
  • Approximate date that the animal died

Please forward this information by using one of the following avenues:

Visit: Inverell Shire Council Administration Center at 144 Otho Street, Inverell NSW 2360

Mail: Inverell Shire Council
PO Box 138
Inverell NSW 2360


Or by phone: (02) 6728 8200.

Microchipping & Lifetime Registration

Each year approximately 80 000 dogs and cats are lost, hurt or stolen in NSW alone. Most are impounded and due to their lack of identification, cannot be returned to their owners and risk being destroyed.

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, passed by NSW Government, dog and cat owners must take two simple steps to provide lifetime protection for their pet; microchipping and lifetime registration.


  • By 12 weeks of age, all puppies and kittens must be microchipped.
  • Microchipping is usually carried out by a vet. It is very safe, almost painless, and is done for a low cost.
  • A microchip the size of a grain of rice is inserted quickly and safely into your pet between their shoulders.
  • The chip carries a unique number that can be read by a scanner to identify your pet. The state-wide register records all microchip numbers, which are linked to the pet owner’s details. Therefore, you can be informed if your pet is found.
  • Your privacy is strictly protected. Only authorised people can access the register, which is not linked to any other databases.
  • When your cat or dog is microchipped, you are required to complete a Permanent Identification/Registration Form. A copy of this must be sent to the Inverell Shire Council, and a Certificate of Identification will be sent to you before your pet is six (6) months old.
  • From the time your pet is 12 weeks old, it is required to display an ID disc with your name and contact number on it.


Lifetime Registration

  • Registration links your pet’s microchip number with your personal details.
  • To register a pet, you must be 18 years of age or over. In the instance that the pet is owned by a child or teenager, the pet must be registered by the parent on the child’s behalf.
  • Dangerous/restricted dogs which are not registered by the age of 6 months carry a maximum penalty of $6600.00 for the owner for failure to comply.


Lifetime Registration Fee

  • If you have your pet desexed, you will be eligible for a reduced registration fee. You will need to provide evidence that your pet has been desexed at the time off registration, for instance a veterinary certificate or bill.
  • If you are a recognised cat or dog breeder, you will need to provide a copy of your current Breeder’s Membership card when registering.
  • If applying for a reduced pensioner fee, you will need to provide a copy of your current Pension Card.
  • Registration fees and conditions are set by the NSW Government – Office of Local Government.
  • The fees as of 1 July 2017 are outlined in the table below:
Non-desexed dog or cat $201.00
Dog under 6 months not desexed $55.00
Cat under 4 months not desexed $55.00
Desexed dog or cat $55.00
Desexed dog or cat owned by Pensioner $23.00
Recognised breeder $55.00
Desexed dog or cat purchased from Pound/Shelter $27.50
Assistance animal Free
Working Dog Free
Exempt Greyhound Free


How to Register

  • Once you have filled out and sent away your Permanent Identification/Registration Form at the time of microchipping your pet, you should have received a Certificate of Identification.
  • To register your pet (by 6 months of age), you must provide the following documentation:
    • Certificate of Identification
    • Address where animal is usually kept, along with a contact phone number
    • Evidence of Desexing (if applicable)
    • A copy of your Breeder Membership Card (if applicable). Also, a statement by the owner advising that the animal is to be kept for breeding purposes.
    • A copy of your Pensioner Card (if applicable)
  • Make relevant payment to Inverell Shire Council. Cheques and money orders should be made payable to ‘Inverell Shire Council’.


Where Do I Register

  • Register your cat or dog in person by taking your documentation to Inverell Shire Council Administration Centre, 144 Otho Street, Inverell.


Animals That Are Exempt

  • Farm working dogs living on rural properties do not have to be identified or registered. Council does however encourage the microchipping of valuable working dogs.
  • Greyhounds registered under the Greyhound Racing Authority Act 1985 do not have to be permanently identified or registered with Council.
  • People with Assistance Animals must have their animal permanently identified and registered, but, they are exempt from paying registration fees.

Pet De-sexing

By desexing companion animals, they become less aggressive and easier to control. Inverell Shire Council recommends that pets are desexed if they are not intended to be used for breeding.

Why Desex Your Pet?

By desexing your pet, you are helping to reduce the problem of unwanted puppies and kittens, as well as promoting positive health and behavioral changes.
A desexed pet may:

• Live longer and be less likely to develop reproductive organ cancers;
• Be less likely to wander;
• Refrain from marking it’s territory by ‘spraying’ in the house;
• Be less inclined to develop aggressive habits.

Other Advantages of Desexing

• Reduced Registration Fees;
• Desexed pets are far less likely to go wandering in search of a mate – if your pet does wander (it should however be confined at all times), it could get injured or lost;
• You will not have the hassle of finding good homes for your unwanted litter of kittens or puppies;
• In reducing the population of stray and unwanted cats, you will be protecting our native flora and fauna which is threatened by stray cat activity.

What’s Involved in Desexing?

You are able to desex your pet at any age, even as young as eight (8) weeks. It is recommended, however, that you desex your pet before it reaches three (3) months of age.
While you are at the vet, it is also a good idea to get your pet microchipped.

Desexing is undertaken by a veterinarian, and the procedure is straight forward. Most pets recover from surgery within 24 hours.

If you have any questions or concerns about what is involved, and the recovery process for your pet, talk to your local veterinarian.

Pound Facility

The Inverell Shire Council Pound facility is located on Burtenshaw Road at the Inverell Shire Council Depot.

To view companion animals that are in the pound, the hours of operation are from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. Please note the pound is not open on weekends or public holidays.

All enquires regarding impounded companion animals, animals to be released, or to adopt a pound animal should be referred to the Inverell Shire Council Administration Centre at 144 Otho Street, Inverell or contact (02) 6728 8288 during business hours.

If you are the owner of a companion animal that is in the pound you will be required to have the dog microchipped and registered. Additional fees and charges are involved before an animal is released.



Opening Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm

General Manager
PO Box 138 Inverell NSW 2360

Administration Centre

144 Otho Street
Inverell NSW 2360

Phone: (02) 6728 8288
Fax: (02) 6728 8277
ABN: 72 695 204 530


Subscribe to receive council newsletters, event information and more straight to your inbox.

Connect With Us