Lake Inverell

Microchipping & Lifetime Registration

Each year approximately 80 000 dogs and cats are lost, hurt or stolen in NSW alone. Most are impounded and due to their lack of identification, cannot be returned to their owners and risk being destroyed.

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, passed by NSW Government, dog, and cat owners must take two simple steps to provide lifetime protection for their pet; microchipping and lifetime registration.


What you need to know about microchipping your pet:

  • By 12 weeks of age, all puppies and kittens must be microchipped.
  • Microchipping is usually carried out by a vet. It is very safe, almost painless, and is done at a low cost.
  • A microchip the size of a grain of rice is inserted quickly and safely into your pet between their shoulders.
  • The chip carries a unique number that can be read by a scanner to identify your pet. The NSW Pet Registry records all microchip numbers, which are linked to the pet owner’s details. Therefore, you can be informed if your pet is found.
  • Your privacy is strictly protected. Only authorised people can access the register, which is not linked to any other databases.
  • When your cat or dog is microchipped, you are required to complete a Permanent Identification/Registration Form. A copy of this must be sent to the Inverell Shire Council, and a Certificate of Identification will be sent to you before your pet is six (6) months old.
  • From the time your pet is 12 weeks old, it is required to display an ID disc with your name and contact number on it.

Lifetime Registration

What you need to know about lifetime registrations for your pet:

  • Registration links your pet’s microchip number with your personal details.
  • To register a pet, you must be 18 years of age or over. In the instance that the pet is owned by a child or teenager, the pet must be registered by the parent on the child’s behalf.
  • Dangerous/restricted dogs which are not registered by the age of 6 months carry a maximum penalty of $6600.00 for the owner for failure to comply.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

How To Register

It’s easier than ever before to register your cat or dog:


Registrations can be completed online via:

Over the counter

You can also register your dog or cat in person via:

  • Your local council office, or
  • Any Service NSW centre

Make sure you bring with you the relevant documentation listed below.

Once you have filled out and sent away your Permanent Identification/Registration Form at the time of microchipping your pet, you should have received a Certificate of Identification.

To register your pet (by 6 months of age), you must provide the following documentation:

  • Certificate of Identification;
  • Address where the animal is usually kept, along with a contact phone number;
  • Evidence of Desexing (if applicable);
  • A copy of your Breeder Membership Card (if applicable). Also, a statement by the owner advising that the animal is to be kept for breeding purposes;
  • A copy of your Pensioner Card (if applicable);

Register your cat or dog in person by taking your documentation to Inverell Shire Council Administration Centre, 144 Otho Street, Inverell, by visiting your local Service NSW branch or online at the NSW Pet Registry or on the Service NSW website.


If you have your pet desexed, you will be eligible for a reduced registration fee. You will need to provide evidence that your pet has been desexed at the time of registration, for instance, a veterinary certificate or bill.

If you are a recognised cat or dog breeder, you will need to provide a copy of your current Breeder’s Membership card when registering.

If applying for a reduced pensioner fee, you will need to provide a copy of your current Pension Card.

Registration fees and conditions are set by the NSW Government – Office of Local Government.

The fees as of 1 July 2019 are outlined in the table below:

Pet Registration Fees
Non-desexed dog or cat$210.00
Desexed dog or cat$58.00
Desexed dog or cat owned by Pensioner$25.00
Recognised breeder$58.00
Desexed dog or cat purchased from Pound/Shelter$29.00
Assistance animalFree
Working DogFree
Exempt GreyhoundFree

Exempt Animals

  • Farm working dogs living on rural properties do not have to be identified or registered. Council does, however, encourage the microchipping of valuable working dogs.
  • Greyhounds registered under the Greyhound Racing Authority Act 1985 do not have to be permanently identified or registered with Council.
  • People with Assistance Animals must have their animal permanently identified and registered, but, they are exempt from paying registration fees.



Opening Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm

General Manager
PO Box 138 Inverell NSW 2360

Administration Centre

144 Otho Street
Inverell NSW 2360

Phone: (02) 6728 8288
Fax: (02) 6728 8277
ABN: 72 695 204 530


Subscribe to receive council newsletters, event information and more straight to your inbox.

Connect With Us