Community Fund awards grants
25 November 2019
Eleven community groups are celebrating following the announcement of organisations receiving funding under round two of the Sapphire Wind Farm Community Fund.
The funding is a result of the Sapphire Wind Farm’s commitment to support local initiatives and strengthen the local community and offers two rounds of funding each year to groups across Inverell Shire.
The program funds an assortment of initiatives, including upgrades to public facilities, local events, sports clubs and small equipment to help community groups with day-to-day operations.
Sapphire Wind Farm Facility Manager, David Williamson helped assess the more than 30 applications lodged to the latest round of the program, with organisations from Bonshaw to Gilgai applying for grants to upgrade infrastructure and host events.
Among the approved organisations, Inverell Motorcycle Restorers Club will receive a $3,980 grant to assist with their annual 2020 Rally.
“Sapphire Wind Farm is pleased to be involved with the Inverell Motorcycle Restorers Club by assisting with sponsorship for their 28th Restorers Club Rally planned for 3 – 5 April 2020 at the Pioneer Village”.
“The rally will benefit our local economy by bringing an expected 200 entrants and 500 visitors to Inverell for the event”, Mr Williamson said.
President of Inverell Motorcycle Restorers Club, Garry Newley says the club is delighted to receive the Sapphire Wind Farm Community Fund grant.
“It will certainly assist us to better promote our rally each April and it also recognises the important economic contribution recreational motorcycling makes to regional areas”.
“Motorcyclists travel light – they need food, drink and accommodation and it’s very likely that the per capita spend in the Inverell Shire over the 3 days of our annual rally exceeds that of any other annual event. Bikes bring bucks”.
Organisations to receive funding under round two include:
- > Apex Club of Inverell – restore BBQ trailer and purchase marquee $12,000;
- > Bonshaw P&C Association – sports equipment $3,000;
- > Gilgai P&C Association – public address system $2,000;
- > Inverell Little Athletics – scissor jump mats $2,700;
- > Inverell Motorcycle Restorers Club – 2020 Rally $3,980;
- > Inverell Pioneer Village – chairs for catering area $4,000;
- > Inverell RSM Pistol Club – upgrade amenities block $5,000;
- > Inverell Sapphire City Festival 2020 Finale Evening $6,600;
- > The Inverell Singers Inc – mobile performance equipment $2,350;
- > Staggy Creek Tennis Club – resurfacing tennis courts $2,130;
- > Combined P&C and P&F Associations of Inverell Schools – marquees for 5 schools $5,500
Round three of the Sapphire Wind Farm Community Fund will open for applications in February 2020, with updates to be posted in local media and also at www.inverell.nsw.gov.au.
For further information contact:
Fiona Adams | Inverell Shire Council | PO Box 138, Inverell NSW 2360 | 02 6728 8288 | Fiona.Adams@inverell.nsw.gov.au