Winter School Holiday fun
2 July 2019
AS THE school term wraps up, Inverell Shire Council has released its July school holiday program with a raft of free youth activities.
Acting mayor Anthony Michael is encouraging youth to take advantage of the fun and varied activities on offer, including accredited training to help youth be job-ready, craft sessions and also ‘come and try’ indoor sports events for ages 8 – 20.
“Our Council team is proud to offer activities that help young people increase their skills and also get children active,” Cr Michael said.
“Council has worked hard to deliver facilities and activities that make our shire a great place to raise a family, so I encourage young people to get involved in something fun these school holidays.”
“The community calendar is available online at the Council website and is designed so you can easily find activities and register for them”.
With NAIDOC Week taking place during the school holidays, Cr Michael also encourages residents of all ages to support NAIDOC Week activities taking place across the shire.
Tingha will host their NAIDOC event on Monday 8 July at Graeme Park, while Ashford will be hosting NAIDOC Week celebrations on Tuesday 9 July with live music, a street march and Aboriginal dancing and Inverell celebrations will be held Thursday in Victoria Park.
“The Inverell-Tingha NAIDOC Committee has done a tremendous job planning these events, so I’m looking forward to attending events in Inverell, Tingha and Ashford and hope to see many of our residents come along to celebrate Aboriginal culture and history.”
Highlights of the Council school holiday program include:
- > NAIDOC celebrations Tingha, Monday 8 July, 10.30am at Graeme Park;
- > NAIDOC celebrations Ashford, Tuesday 9 July, 11am at Ashford LALC;
- > NAIDOC celebrations Inverell, Thursday 11 July,10.30am at Victoria Park;
- > 3D computer aided design and mechanical drawing course with Andrew Blake, 16-18 July at Inverell Town Hall Annex, 9am – 4.30pm (lunch / snacks provided);
- > Indoor Sports ‘come and try’ day for youth 13-20 years, 18 July, 9am – 12 noon;
- > Indoor Sports ‘come and try’ day for youth 8-12 years, 19 July, 9am – 12 noon;
- > Youth course ‘Statement in Manual Handling’ delivered by TAFE for youth 15-20 years at Inverell Sports Complex Clubhouse, 10 July, 12.30pm – 4.30pm;
- > Inverell Shire Library’s Decorate a Wind Chime for K – Year 6, 16 July;
- > Inverell Shire Library’s Decorate a Ceramic Vase for K – Year 6, 17 July;
- > Inverell Shire Library will also be hosting free movie screenings on 19 July, including Lego Movie 2 for children K – Year 6 and Captain Marvel for high school aged children.
Bookings are essential for all events, with the calendar available at inverell.nsw.gov.au/events/.
For further information contact:
Fiona Adams | Inverell Shire Council | PO Box 138, Inverell NSW 2360 | (02) 6728 8288 | Fiona.Adams@inverell.nsw.gov.au