Have a Get Ready Weekend
3 September 2020
Inverell Shire Council is encouraging families, friends and neighbours to use the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Get Ready Weekend (19-20 September 2020) to prepare for bushfire season and start a broader conversation about being aware of and prepared for all hazards.
“Last year’s bushfires caused widespread damage across our shire and was a stark reminder of the danger of fire. It was also a reminder of the importance of being prepared and having a plan,” Mayor Paul Harmon said.
“In the lead up to our next fire season and with the impact of the last season still being felt across the state, communities are understandably keen to know more about getting ready.
“To support early planning and preparation, NSW RFS will once again host their annual Get Ready Weekend on 19-20 September, in person and online. Residents can visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au for more information.”
Commissioner of Resilience NSW, Shane Fitzsimmons encouraged everyone to have a conversation around being prepared for emergency, whatever the hazard may be.
“Each year, communities across NSW may experience bushfires, home fires, floods, storms, heatwaves, power outages and other emergencies,” Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.
“This year alone has been one of unparalleled emergencies. Communities across NSW were first impacted by drought, bushfire, then storm and flood, now pandemic – and all in quick succession. This has highlighted how important it is to be prepared for all hazards.
“Our emergency service organisations do an incredible job keeping us safe, but they can only do so much. Being aware and prepared is everyone’s responsibility.”
Get Ready in five simple steps:
1. Know your risk – think about the area you’re in and the types of disasters that could affect you;
2. Plan now for what you will do – sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area;
3. Get your home ready – prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance coverage;
4. Be aware – find out how to prepare, what to do if there is a disaster in your area and connect with NSW emergency services to stay informed;
5. Look out for each other – share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.
- > www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/getready
- > www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
- > www.ses.nsw.gov.au/get-ready-animals
- > www.inverell.nsw.gov.au/get-ready-for-disasters/
For further information contact:
Fiona Adams | Inverell Shire Council | PO Box 138, Inverell NSW 2360 | 02 6728 8288 | Fiona.Adams@inverell.nsw.gov.au