Australia Day Awards 2024
NOMINATION GUIDELINES AND CRITERIA
Each year, the people of Inverell Shire are invited to nominate fellow citizens for Australia Day Awards. The Awards aim to recognise outstanding achievement during the past year and/or contribution to the local community over a number of years.
- Citizen of the Year – open to persons 20 years or older on 26 January 2024.
- Young Citizen of the Year – open to persons under the age of 21 on 26 January 2024.
CRITERIA AND ELIGIBILITY
- Nominees must be Australian Citizens and must reside within Inverell Shire during the nomination process.
- Nominations must be received by 4:30pm on Thursday, 30th November 2023. Any nominations received after this time will not be accepted.
- Contribution by an individual to the Inverell Shire to be voluntary and unpaid and may be of general or specific nature.
- Nominees must have contributed significantly to the community, in any field considered appropriate.
- Nominees must demonstrate active concern for the rights, welfare, wellbeing and/or advancement of others and be able to display leadership, innovation or creativity in their activities.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years, by filling out a new nomination form. Previous year’s nomination forms will not be accepted.
- A person cannot receive a second award in the same Award category, but can be considered for recognition in a separate category in following years, eg Young Citizen of the Year and then Citizen of the Year.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- The nominee must not be a Member of Parliament or be a recipient of Australian and Imperial Honours.
- Nominations should include at least two letters of support or referees from different perspectives of the applicant’s achievements. Referees may be contacted by the Committee as part of the decision making process and at least one referee should have a good knowledge of the nominee’s key area of activity.
- The Committee reserves the right to obtain more information about each person from whatever source appropriate.
- The decisions of the Committee shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into on the subject of decisions made.
- To nominate, please complete the nomination form.
- Any supporting documentation should be attached to the nomination form.
- Any nomination received after the closing date cannot be considered.
- Additional information regarding nominations cannot be accepted after the closing date unless it is correcting earlier information supplied.
- All nominees will be notified after the closing date, advising they have been nominated and inviting them and their nominators to attend the Australia Day ceremony0
- The Awards will be presented on Australia Day at the Australia Day ceremony in Victoria Park, Inverell.
ENQUIRIES: Please contact Council on 6728 8288 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require further information.
Nominations must be received by 4:30pm on Thursday, 30th November 2023. Any nominations received after this time will not be accepted.