Newstead Photographic Archival Recording
The historic Newstead Station homestead (circa 1840), wool-shed (circa 1857), cemetery and circa 1862 church ruins are located off the Elsmore Road approximately 25 km west of Inverell. Newstead was established by Colin Anderson and has remained a large pastoral property and well known station in the area since this time.
The Newstead station group is listed as an item of local heritage under the Inverell Local Environmental Plan 2012 with the wool-shed was immortalised in Tom Robert’s painting The Golden Fleece.
To preserve the features and importance of this historic property, Inverell Shire Council resolved at its Ordinary Meeting of Council on 16 December 2015 to undertake a Photographic Archival Recording of the Newstead Station Group of buildings. This has now been completed and a copy of the report is available below. A hard copy of the report and full sized image files are available for viewing in the Local History section of the Inverell Public Library.
Further information on Newstead can be gained from Inverell Shire Council, Inverell Public Library, Inverell Tourism, Inverell District Family History Group, University of New England Heritage Centre and various other sources.