Cemeteries – Heritage Listed
Cemeteries, or burial grounds as they are often called, are an historical record of local communities within the Inverell Shire. The memorials document growth, recording important events or periods in the history of the Shire.
Unlike most other histories, cemeteries document the lives of all, rich or poor, prominent or humble. The memorials also provide valuable information on individuals or families who were important locally. They enable people to conduct genealogical research and historians to interpret the social and economic development of the area.
There are eleven (11) cemeteries that have been listed as heritage items on Inverell Shire Council’s Local Environmental Plan. These are:
- Ashford Cemetery on Coalmine Road,
- Bonshaw Cemetery on the Bruxner Highway,
- Delungra Cemetery on Delungra Cemetery Road,
- Elsmore Cemetery on Elsmore Road,
- Gilgai Cemetery on Schwenkes Lane,
- Graman Cemetery on Yetman Road,
- Gum Flat Cemetery on Copeton Dam Road,
- Inverell Cemetery on Ashford Road,
- Nullamanna Cemetery on Nullamanna Road,
- Bannockburn Cemetery on Yetman Road, and
- Yetman Cemetery on the Bruxner Highway.
In addition to the above cemeteries, there are three (3) private cemeteries listed as heritage items on Inverell Shire Council’s Local Environmental Plan. These are:
- Greenways Private Cemetery on Ashford Road,
- Bukkulla Station Private Cemetery on Ashford Road, and
- Dinton Vale Private Cemetery on Ashford Road.
The Inverell District Family History Group has prepared the brochure Inverell Cemetery – self guided walking tour, which provides an overview of the cemetery and information regarding some of the more noted people interred there.