Australian citizenship is an important step in your migration story. Becoming an Australian citizen means that you are making an ongoing commitment to Australia and all that this country stands for. It is also the beginning of your formal membership of the Australian community. It is the step that will enable you to say ‘I am Australian’.
To become an Australian citizen you will need to complete the following steps:
- Step 1 - Confirm that you are eligible. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Citizenship) website provides information on citizenship eligibility.
- Step 2 - Fill in an application and lodge the form and pay the fee . Once you lodge the Citizenship Application Form, it will be processed by staff at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- Step 3 - Attend a short interview. You may be able to attend your interview at an Australia Post office. After your interview, the Department will write to you about whether your application has been approved. Most applications are processed in 30 days.
- Step 4 - Find out when your citizenship ceremony will be and invite family and friends . Once your application has been assessed, your Certificate of Australian Citizenship is forwarded to the Council. Await receipt of letter from the Council confirming documentation has been received and advice of the date of the next citizenship ceremony.
- Step 5 - Go to the ceremony, make the pledge and receive your Citizenship Certificate. Confirm, with Council, your attendance at the ceremony. Citizenship Ceremonies are held at your local Council and presided over by the Mayor. Citizenship Ceremonies are warm, friendly events and new citizens may wish to invite family and friends to participate in the ceremony.
INVERELL'S NEWEST AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS
Congatulations to the following Inverell Shire residents who recently took their citizenship pledge and became Australian citizens.
|Above: Michele & Joel Aguirre and children Joemhel, Joeriz & Johnle from The Philippines and Kimberly Wills from The Philippines at their Citizenship Ceremony|
|Above: Ijeoma Segbaya from Nigeria at her Citizenship Ceremony.|
|Above: Trevor Kiernan from New Zealand, Florentino & Gemma Simbajon and children Geno & Ira from the Philippines and Ariel & Abella Navarro and children Aldrex & Finellah from the Philippines at their Citizenship Ceremony|
|Above: The Langsang family from the Philippines and Waraporn from Thailand at their Citizenship Ceremony.|